• Created
  • Senaste svar

Postat mest i detta ämne

• Pazo

• Pico

• Gote

• mornel

Postat mest i detta ämne

hum.. som jag fått höra så börjades 303an andvändas till "EDM" först efter att roland trodde sig ha skapat en bassynth för dansband.. Enligt den historien jag hört beroro ljudet på ett fel i själva programeringen... men jag vet inte.. någon som har fakta?

Dela på andra sajter

The history

The TB303 (Transistor Bass) was introduced in the early 1982's together with the TR606 Drumatix (Transistor Rythm) by Roland. It was invented by Tadao Kikumoto. At that time the 303 was not an expensive piece, only about £215. The two small plastic-pieces were intended to emulate a real bass player and a real drummer. Obviously only very few musicians used the TB303 and TR606 for that purpose because the machines just could not replace the real thing. Their sounds didn't anywhere come near a real bass or drumset, and the musicians didn't want to go through the time-consuming task of programming the machines. Since nobody wanted the TB303 anymore, Roland stopped producing them 18 months after releasing it. At that time they'd produced about 20.000 copies alltogether.

It was not until 1987 when a DJ (rumors has it that it was DJ Pierre) came up with the idea to turn the knobs while playing the TB303 that acid house was born. After that the machine suddently became more and more wanted and soaked for.

Today's acid music is very different from the acid house of the 80's/early 90's. Now acid music is typically produced using the TB303 and a TR909. The TR909 drum machine produces a much more hard, much more dancable beat. The bassdrum really kicks and it has got a very famous clap!

As if that wasn't enough, apply a guitar-distortion pedal and the sound is now much more harsher and emphasizes the resonance into agony screams. BIG fat sounds from small machines!!

The unique sound

I've listened a lot to the TB303 through the years. It's obvious that the sound is not heard alike on any other synth. Some people may claim, that there is no difference from the sound of the TB303 and Deep Bass Nine. Some may think they're able to make an acid track using a clone. I'd say they're truly wrong. A true 303-freak will be able to hear the difference, and they won't settle for less than the real thing/sound!

The reason for the TB303's unique sound is in my opinion:

Accent:

The accent is in my opinion the most important feature on the TB-303. This is what makes the basslines slam! It's not emulated properly in any emulator I've heard. Why? Because it's a complex thing:

The accent does not shape or alter the sound itself. What it does is it simply tweaks the vcf and the vca in a special way.

First of all, accented notes are louder than normal ones. About twice as loud. Therefore it's a fact that the accent knob controls the VCA.

Also, accented notes decay faster than normal ones. If an accented note is being played and the accent knob is fully anti-clockwise, you would not hear it saying "WAOuw", but more like "UW". This decay time is fixed and cannot be controlled.

If the accent-know is fully clockwise the sound will sound more like "WAOuw". The accent knob controls to what extend the filter should open. The accent knob, in other words, forces the cutoff frequency to rise to a certain level (determined by how much the accent knob is turned clockwise) and then fall back to a normal level. -Actually it will fall back to a level slightly lower than a normal note because of the fixed additional decay!

If several accented notes are beeing played in quick succession it really starts to get fun.

What happens is the cutoff-frequency doesn't fall back to it's normal level before the next accent will start, thereby causing the next accent to start at a slightly higher cutoff. This effect increases the faster (BPM) you play. The accent sweep is not linear. First, the cutoff raises quickly. Towards it's peak it rounds off a bit and then it starts dropping. Fast at first towards a smooth soft curve.

Accented notes also seems to be more resonant than normal ones. I think that's the reason why it'll scream or whistle instead of just saying "waow". The resonance slam contributes into making the accent the powerful hammer it is!

The sweep time is approx 200ms.

Slide:

The TB-303 slide is also unique. It uses what one could call constant time slide. This means, that the time it takes to slide from a "C-1" to a "C-3" is the same time it would take to slide from a "C-1" to a "C#1"! This gives some bouncy basslines not heard on many other synths. If a note is told to slide to another note, the actual slide starts on the succeding note, and finishes just before the gate turns the note off!. -Actually some people claim that it starts just before the succeding note, just as a real bassplayer would. I don't know if this is true or not, but with all theese screwy things going on inside this little box, why not!

Clipping:

The 303 seems to clip off amplitudes above 85%. Furthermore, where the clipping occurs, very high-frequency sine-peaks shows, just as if the sounds are sligthly highpass-filtered just before it's being played. I think the clipping adds crispness and shreddyness to the sound of the TB-303. No other synth that I know of has the same nasal sound as the 303! This is because of clipping. It might be an error or bug not taken care of back in the 80's, but never mind, it works in the 90's!

The filter:

The filter of the TB303 is a resonant lowpass 18db/oct. It will be driven into oscillation by applying resonance, but will never self-oscillate! The filter is, in other words, stable! There is not much else to say about the filter other than 18db/oct is not very used - most other synths tend to be using either 12db/oct or 24db/oct lowpass filters and then the fact that the filter is controlled by cutoff-, resonance-, decay-, envmod- and accent-knobs and that added togetger is in fact what created "the acid machine" back then!

I hope this small text will be useful somehow..

Frank Reitz

Dela på andra sajter

en annan text tagen irån en välbekant Wiki:

Roland TB-303 (TB av transistor bass) är Roland Corporations välkända analogsynth, skapad och tillverkad i början av 1980-talet. TB-303 var tänkt att skapa basljud till gitarrister som saknade basist. Synthen blev en flopp och den tillverkades bara i 20 000 exemplar. Under det senare halvan av 1980-talet upptäckte dock musiker från Chicago synthen, och den kom att användas i den nya musikstilen house. TB-303:an har sedan dess varit en klassiker, kanske en av de mest kända analogsyntharna genom tiderna.

gitarrister som saknade basist

hum.. vart fan fick jag dansband ifrån?

Dela på andra sajter

men grahn......opera är ju norskt?! 😆

de e väl inte konstigt att det inte fungerar!! 😛

får kolla på det.......har gjort sidan lite enkelt i frontpage, funkar inte med mac browser heller 😎

så kan det va när man e en glad amatör!! 😄

Redigerat av Pedda P
Dela på andra sajter

men grahn......opera är ju norskt?! 😆

de e väl inte konstigt att det inte fungerar!! 😛

får kolla på det.......har gjort sidan lite enkelt i frontpage, funkar inte med mac browser heller 😎

Om den var konstig i Opera... ja då var den hmm... märklig i Firefox.

Dela på andra sajter

men grahn......opera är ju norskt?!  😛

de e väl inte konstigt att det inte fungerar!! 🙂

Om den var konstig i Opera... ja då var den hmm... märklig i Firefox.

hahaha.....måste ladda ner opera o firefox o kolla!! 😄

Dela på andra sajter

I serien freak: Jag ligger i sängen med laptopen i mitt knä och kollar in studio forum. 😛

Dela på andra sajter

MarcusRombo (oregistrerad)
en annan text tagen irån en välbekant Wiki:

Roland TB-303 (TB av transistor bass) är Roland Corporations välkända analogsynth, skapad och tillverkad i början av 1980-talet. TB-303 var tänkt att skapa basljud till gitarrister som saknade basist. Synthen blev en flopp och den tillverkades bara i 20 000 exemplar. Under det senare halvan av 1980-talet upptäckte dock musiker från Chicago synthen, och den kom att användas i den nya musikstilen house. TB-303:an har sedan dess varit en klassiker, kanske en av de mest kända analogsyntharna genom tiderna.

gitarrister som saknade basist

hum.. vart fan fick jag dansband ifrån?

Det fick det nog från en snurrig tolkning av "dansmusik" 🙂

Tacka fan för att den floppade som "låtsas basist". Annars hade vi ju kanske inte haft/fått någon acid alls! 😛😄

Dela på andra sajter

I serien freak: Jag ligger i sängen med laptopen i mitt knä och kollar in studio forum.  😄

Pop poppi.....

knätopp...... 😛

🙂😄

Dela på andra sajter

I serien freak: Jag ligger i sängen med laptopen i mitt knä och kollar in studio forum.  😄

Freak del två: Och jag är avundsjuk... 🙂

Freak del 3: Hoho jag bor i Lappland å har en Lapptopp Jåmenvisst.

Edit: Stavfel

Förklara det där med Lappland/Västerbotten för mig Grahn... de "överlappar" ju varandra. 😛😄

Dela på andra sajter

Gäst
Detta ämne är nu stängt för fler svar.

• Skapa ny...